La Fête des Vignerons is a unique opportunity to experience a once-in-a-generation event. Winegrowers’ Celebration or Wine Festival in English, La Fête des Vigerons is basically an occasion to honour and show support for the centuries-old wine-making traditions of our region.
UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage
Recognized by UNESCO on its list of Intangible Cultural Heritage, La Fête des Vignerons brings generations together, connecting people from the villages, the countryside and the vineyards, locals and foreigners, and offers the opportunity to live a rare and exceptionnal event only once every 20 years.
The celebrations are elaborate, with 5’000 actors and volunteers participating in a series of 20 wine-themed performances. The design team is led by Daniele Finzi Pasca, who wasa Cirque du Soleil artistic director, as well as producer of Olympic opening ceremony in Turin (2006) and closing ceremony in Sochi (2014).
The full picture with a wine tour
Set along the serene shores of Lake Geneva, Vevey is also smack dab in the middle of Switzerland’s famed Lavaux Vineyard Terraces, a UNESCO World Heritage sitethat dates to wine-making monks in the Middle-Ages. Visiting the typical villages of Epesses or St-Saphorin with your private Winemax guide, meeting a winemaker and tasting its best products should represent the best way to fully enjoy the Wine Festival experience.
The Winegrowers’ celebration in short :
- The Confrérie des Vignerons is responsible for checking on the correct maintenance of all the vines of its members
- The show represents a year in the life of the vineyard in twenty scenes
- The arena has a surface area of 14,000 m2 and a maximum height of 30 metres
- The main stage is the same size as an Olympic swimming pool
- There will be 400 loudspeakers, 2,000 projectors and four giant LED screens
- 700 tons of steel that make up the infrastructure structure.
- 20,000 spectators can be accommodated for each celebration
Only once every 20 years…
As this very special event only takes place every 20 years, you should not miss it as you will be pretty old by the time the next one comes round.
Comments are closed.